Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rosh Hashanah as the trigger for the Rapture (or the 70th Week of Daniel in any case)

Finding some great stuff on the Rapture. Sorry I'm not stopping to get to know much about the various websites hosting this material, if I get the impression it's making good scriptural sense then I just try to absorb as much as I can. When I come up for air I should return and give credit where credit is due, Lord willing.

Got to say that I'm more and more convinced of the Rapture. Just a short while ago I would never have thought I'd come to this conclusion. Not that I'd finally settled on a particular end times interpretation -- I hadn't, in fact I was taking the position that we wouldn't know until it was upon us. It seemed to me that there were facets of different eschatalogical interpretations that had scriptural support, as well as some claims that have little or no support at all, but beyond that, judging among them was just beyond me. But I didn't expect the Rapture to end up being the winner it now seems to be becoming for me, because I couldn't really see much evidence for it -- or the evidence seemed to be pieced together from unlikely ways of reading different verses. Yet none of the other interpretations made any better sense, and at least the Rapture always has had the virtue of giving a clearly future fulfillment to prophecy, and that part I always held to.

Now I'm finding discussions covering some of the particulars involved in the Rapture scheme. Once you accept it, you have a head full of questions about how it all plays out, how things are the same and different on both sides of the Rapture divide for instance.

Here are some really handy discussions:

The Rapture on Rosh Hashana
Jewish tradition holds that Rosh Hashanah celebrates the anniversary of the creation of the world, a day when “God takes stock of all of His Creation,” which of course includes all of humanity...

“And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation. Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.” (Leviticus 23:23-25)

God does not do things in vain, or without purpose. The Old Testament Holy Days were not just some sort of Divine make-work project to keep the Israelites busy while they were out wandering in the desert. All of the Old Testament Holy Days (Passover, Days of Unleavened Bread, The Feast of Weeks, The Feast of Trumpets, The Day of Atonement, The Festival of Tabernacles and the Last Day) were, and continue to be, living symbols of the stages of God’s Plan of Salvation for all humanity. Those events are now in progress, and true Christians are the manifestation of it.

In the Christian world, Rosh Hashanah is known as The Feast of Trumpets. Many Christians observe this festival for its Christian prophetic application – the Rapture of the Church.

“Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.” (1 Corinthians 15:51-53)

“For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.” (1 Thessalonians 4:15-17)

All the Spring Feasts were fulfilled at Christ’s first coming. All the Fall Feasts picture the Second Advent, and the Feast of Trumpets is the first of the fall feasts, picturing the Rapture.

Now there are more feasts to be fulfilled with the second coming.

Yom Teruah (Rosh HaShanah) / Feast of Trumpets
The Rapture; the last trump; wedding of the Messiah; New Moon; Open Door
Yom Kippur / Day of Atonement
Sukkot / Feast of Tabernacles (Booths). . .

Rosh HaShanah is also referred to as ‘Yom Teruah’, the Day of the Sounding of the Shofar, or the Day of the Awakening Blast. On Yom Teruah, the Day of the Sounding of the Shofar, it is imperative for every person to hear the shofar.

Yom Teruah is the only festival that no man knows when exactly it will occur. This is due to the fact that it begins on the new moon. The new moon was sanctified when two witnesses see the new moon and attest to it before the Sanhedrin in the Temple.

This sanctification could happen during either of two days, depending on when the witnesses come. Since no one knew when the witnesses would come, no one knew when the Feast of Trumpets would start.
From that same source: What Is the Identity of the Twenty-Four Elders? And another: The Seven Feasts and Their Meanings. And another: Where Is The Promise of His Coming?

I also want to link to a site where the Fall Feasts of Israel are understood to be markers of end times events, but a pre-trib Rapture (or pre-Second Coming Rapture) is rejected. And here he specifically proposes that a future Rosh Hashana or Feast of Trumpets will be the inaugurating event for the last seven weeks or the Seventieth Week of Daniel.

=========================================
Some good studies by Chuck Missler too: A video here, on the Rapture, Part 1: John 14 first scripture he mentions. Many mansions. Wedding practices of ancient Israel to show Christ's relation to the church. The parable of the ten virgins. Marriage supper various verses. Hope to spend more time on Missler as I absorb his teachings.
=========================================

2 comments:

  1. http://sites.google.com/site/theendtimespassover/main-page

    Check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joe, it looks like you've done some very thorough work on this and after I've learned the pro-rapture teachings I'm right now immersed in, I'll spend some time with your analysis, Lord willing. Maybe I'll check them out simultaneously. Your blogs look like they are full of food for thought.

    I do have to say, however, that I'm more disposed by my first theological exposures to the idea of going through the tribulation than to the rapture idea, in spite of having heard almost exclusively the rapture point of view for years, and this common accusation that people believe in the rapture simply out of a fear of suffering is simply not fair. It may be true of some, but I really don't know. What I'm writing here concerns only what I'm learning about the scriptural evidence. When I look at your arguments I'll be weighing ONLY how well they stack up scripturally against the other side.

    Although I never fully rejected it (I've just never seen definitive evidence for or against any particular end times scheme) I've been put off by much of the Rapture camp for many reasons over the years, tone and attitude being a lot of it, and I couldn't get more than a few pages into Left Behind because it was so badly written and conceived.

    No, when I say I'm coming to be convinced of the Rapture, I mean it's the EVIDENCE that is convincing me.

    But I know you also offer evidence for your position, and it looks like you did a lot of work on it, so since I've embarked on this investigation I would like to put some good effort into your side of it too.

    Thanks again, and thanks for the link to your site.

    ReplyDelete