Friday, August 21, 2009

Power in Occult Symbols

I commented in a recent post at Faith's Corner that I have a sensitivity to some symbols, that I experience as abrasive and repellent. It's the sort of information that belongs here better.

Actually, it's two symbols that have definitely affected me this way, the Triquetra:




and the symbol of the 1988 Summer Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea, which looks like this:




The Triquetra is called a Christian symbol and I first encountered it on the cover and front page of my New King James Bible. It always gave me a strange unpleasant sensation whenever I looked at it. Eventually I found out that it has occultic associations, which explained its effect on me, but because it's accepted as a Christian symbol, a representation of the Trinity, I tried to ignore its effect. We aren't to take our feelings as any kind of standard for truth, of course, so I criticized the feeling instead of the symbol. It was only in the last couple years when I came to recognize the falseness of all the Bibles that have come down from the Westcott and Hort revision of 1881 that I started to think this was about the Bible itself. Although the New King James Bible is based on the Greek Textus Receptus rather than the Westcott and Hort Greek text, it has thousands of translational changes in the English that do ultimately derive from W&H. Now I recognize that the sensation is actually a judgment of the Bible itself, probably an expression of the spiritual gift of discerning of spirits.

The other symbol, from the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, I first encountered while watching those games on TV that year. I hadn't been a Christian very long at that time, hadn't even been to a church as I had come to believe in Christ by reading books and was still reading even at that time. It was another year before I ventured to visit a church. I had a fairly good understanding of basic Christian theology because I'd done a LOT of reading, but I didn't have any notion about spiritual gifts at that point.

There are only a few events of the Olympics I enjoy watching but for some reason I had a boxing match on the screen some of the time, perhaps occasionally while flipping channels or waiting for some other event to come on. I don't remember, but the point is I wouldn't have been actually watching a boxing match, it had to be something that came up on the way to something else. Anyway, while the boxing event was going on and my eye was on the screen I would occasionally have the strangest sensation hit me. The words that occur to describe it are abrasive, ugly, loud, strutting or egomaniacal, angry, evil. It would come and go but I only experienced it with the boxing match. I started looking more intently at the screen to see what was causing it. The viewpoint moved around a lot, from one boxer to the other, from close shots to more distant shots, etc., and I soon recognized that I had that sensation only when the floor of the boxing ring was visible, and eventually I made out the image. I couldn't get a clear idea of it from the floor of the boxing ring so I looked for it on other events but oddly enough it wasn't easy to find, although it was the logo for the entire Olympics. Eventually I did get to see it fully. Whenever I saw it anywhere I got the same sensation from it.

What is this all about? I remember telling someone about it who simply flatly said symbols don't do that, but that it might be Satan playing with my mind. It was said in relation to the triquetra on the NKJV and the man was partial to the NKJV. I never got around to telling him about the Seoul symbol where his explanation makes no sense at all. The sensation was ONLY associated with the symbol when it was visible, and always then, however fleeting the image as the camera shots skipped around -- how would Satan pull that off? And what would be Satan's motive anyway to cause me to experience something like that toward what is probably a symbol from a demonic Korean religion? I now believe this sensation I get is because of the Holy Spirit in me.

It's interesting of course to think about the symbol in itself. It's like three sixes lying on their backs. It IS loud and sort of presumptuous in its design in a way too. There's something about the way the tails are drawn as if to trail off that's particularly unpleasant too -- not sure how to interpret that. Oh, maybe to give the impression of movement into the curled-up position?

The triquetra is also made up of three sixes.

I'm impressed with the ability of a mere symbol to radiate some kind of occultic power, and I have no doubt that's what this is. Whether the symbol itself has any power to INFLUENCE someone is another question. These don't influence me except to repel me.

But that's all I wanted to do with this post. Make of it what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment