Thursday, August 16, 2012

THE ORIGIN OF THE STAR OF DAVID: Not occultic after all

I did some posts some time ago on occultic symbols such as the symbol at the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul that had some kind of strange effect on me from just seeing it, also the Triquetra which has a similarly strange effect, and also the Star of David, which interestingly does not have that kind of effect on me although I understood at the time that it has a similarly occultic origin. The lack of such an effect on me is interesting -- to my mind anyway -- since it turns out it may not have an occultic origin after all. (I'm sure others think my having any kind of identifiable feeling in response to a mere symbol is crazy or evidence of theological error, but oh well. I'm just reporting on my experience for whatever it's worth. I think it could be the supernatural gift of discerning of spirits, but I realize that such gifts are not supposed to be given to us these days and for the most part I've accepted that idea.)

Now today Chris Pinto on today's radio show has uncovered another way of understanding the Star of David that is far more satisfying (since I'd really rather not think of Israel as flying a flag with an occultic symbol on it).

This explanation goes back to Prague in the year 1648 when they came up with the symbol as a way of honoring the Jewish people for their service to the nation in fending off an attack by the Swedes. It was Jesuits whose research established the symbol and it's based on the Hebrew letter "D" for "David" which was in its archaic form a triangle. It's made up of two "D"s for the first and last letter of the name David. It was originally called the Shield of David, rather than the Star of David, and when and how it became the Star of David is apparently unknown. All this is according to the research of historian Israel Shahak.

This makes a lot of sense it seems to me and is simply a lot more satisfying explanation than the notion that it had an occultic origin.

2 comments:

  1. I always thought that the Jewish star of David was inspired by the King David's battle shield. Thanks for sharing your explanation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm not a cessationist, and believe that the Holy Spirit still works through God's people with supernatural gifts all through the current New Covenant era, I'd say it sounds as though you do have the gift of discernment of spirits. I knew someone else who had this gift, and he had the ministry of exorcism, and he said that each time he encountered someone who was experiencing demonic oppression he felt nauseous.

    ReplyDelete